New coworking space in town

Værftet is a new coworking space in Køge, housing 17 spaces for young self-employed in the creative sector. Such as designers, journalists, and photographers.

‘Værftet’ means shipyard in danish, and the building used to be just that, an old shipyard. It’s located in a rustic environment at Køge harbor by the water.

Challenge

Værfet needed a visual identity and a website for desktop and mobile with a booking system. The challenge was to make a visual identity from scratch and to reach the target group without in-depth user research and usability testing. Scroll down this page to see the outcome of the project and how we approached the challenge.

Outcome

The deliverables were a Brand identity with a design guide and a website with a red thread throughout the whole experience of the brand. Both digital and physical.

The brand new identity and website
Desktop design

Desktop design

Mobile design

Mobile design

Design process

Reseach

To kick off the research phase, my creative director Katja Egmose and I arranged a meeting with the client and I prepared an informal interview guide to get as much information as I needed before starting the design process. Such as Værftets values, purpose, and target group, and of course wishes and requirements of the client as well.

The phase also included ethnographic field studies of Værftets localization, to get a feeling of the environment and the soul of the place. We wanted to be true to the old building and history and have a red thread throughout the whole experience of the brand.

To get to know Værftets target group, we didn’t have it in the proposal to do interviews, so I decided to reach out to a few people in my close network who where in the target group and asked them some questions, a bit quick and dirty. But I think a little insight is better than none.

Knowing who you are designing for, is crucial if you want a brand or a website to be successful.

Last but not least, I did Desk research on existing co-working spaces with the same target group as Værftet, and made a Benchmark analysis, that included everything from their choice of colours, logo, fonts, user flow, picture style and the information architecture on the website. What worked well, and what didn’t work well, and how we could use those findings in our project and differentiate Værftet from its competition.

3 concepts for visual identities

Based on all my findings from the research phase, and especially Værftets values, I now felt confident enough to start ideating on different concepts for the visual identity.

Before I started, I selected and grouped 3 key values for every concept, that would be the foundation of the brand and prioritized them in a 3-ring target, as you can see in the pictures below.

Sketching the logo

With the 3 new concepts for visual identities, it was time to make a logo for each one. I used google and Pinterest to look for inspiration, and I especially used the words from the values, to find inspiration to how they could be visualized and sketched my ideas along the way.

Logo ideation

Logo ideation

Ideation and selection

Together with Katja, we brainstormed on the 3 concepts and made a few changes to the identities. Now we were all set to present the brand new visual identities to the client and get his feedback. Very exciting!

I presented the concepts and our process on how we got there, to the client. He was very pleased with our work, and after a few days of thinking, he made a choice to go for concept nr. 3 (the last picture of the 3 concepts above).

Ideation process

Ideation process

Wireframes

Now that the visual identity was in place, it was time to start making a website. Before I started to sketch wireframes, I made the information architecture and a sitemap, based on the insights coming from my research and wishes of the client.

Sketching wireframes helped me to connect the information architecture to the user flow and walk through the structure of the website.

I came up with different ideas on how to make the best logical flow from the user’s point of view, looking back at my insights from my target group analysis. Combined with the different design elements such as images, text, and links.

Time to get digital

Finally, it was time to put it all together in the first digital sketches. I combined my hand-sketched wireframes with the visual identity and made a few different mockups with some different ideas I had.

I presented the ideas to Katja to get her feedback, made a few changes. And voila. Scroll up this page to view the final visual identity and website.

The client, who is also an entrepreneur, was super happy with our work and asked if we had time to work on another project of his, right away. Yay!

BACK TO ALL WORK
Let's have a coffee